Old Towcestrians Rugby Club was founded in 1933 by “old boys” of Towcester Grammar School (now Sponne School Technology College). In the following summer Old Towcestrians Cricket Club was formed and included many members from the rugby club.
The two clubs operated independently until the mid-1960s with rugby being played in the centre of Towcester whilst cricket used the school pitch, pavilion and canteen for teas. In 1967 negotiations were begun with Hesketh Estates regarding the availability of land and the rugby and cricket committees began work on the constitution for a combined ‘open’ club.
In February 1968 the joint committees agreed a 30 year lease with Hesketh Estates for 9 acres of land ground off the Greens Norton Road. In March of the same year a special meeting approved the amalgamation of the two clubs into Towcestrians Rugby and Cricket Club under the chairmanship of Colin Waklelin. Although Old Towcestrians Tennis Club originally started in 1925 they joined the new club later in the summer of 1968.
In August 1969 planning approval was granted for the development of the new facilities and construction work begun on the club house and ground. One year later, in August 1970, the new ground was officially opened. The facilities were testament to the huge voluntary effort by club members.
The Hockey club joined in 1982 and played on a grass pitch till new Hockey rules forced them to play on artificial pitches in Northampton.
In the summer of 2011, the decision was taken to go ahead with our long awaited clubhouse extension. Plans were laid and fundraising began in the shape of the “Buy a Brick” campaign.
Through the huge efforts of some of our senior members of the club, large sponsorships were attained as well as grants from governing bodies and local councils etc.
The building began in the summer of 2012 and was completed by September. Huge thanks to all concerned, sponsors, members and volunteers. This has now given us a large new clubhouse, suitable for holding large social events as well as hiring out the facility for meetings wedding and parties, thus involving the local community and bringing in funding for the next stage of development. It has also provided us with a state of the art new Gym (run by AWG Fitness), upgraded kitchen and new toilet facilities as well as an outside barbeque area.
Our latest stage of development started in July 2013. This will give us completely refurbished and extended changing rooms, a physiotherapy suite, extended gym with changing and toilet facilities and a new and extended front entrance.
This will all lend to help Towcestrians Sports Club re-enforce its position as the leading multisport club in the area.
The text of this page is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA) and the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) (Mark Masiak – 24 July 2016)