Tows get wake up call at home – by Hugo Austin

On Saturday Tows suffered their first league defeat of the season to the hands of visitors Swindon, a demoralizing two point gap separated the sides at the final score.

A first minute try from Ben Roe seemed to whip the visitors into action, this set the tone for the game as both teams tried to run the ball. The game settled into a pattern of Swindon’s backs running the ball at Tows and Tows forwards shunting them back.

The second try from Swindon came mid half so that they lead 12-7, only to be answered by a pushover try from Tows, Falvey separated the teams, his kicking on form as usual.

In trying to contain Swindon’s dangerous attacking play, Tows gave away penalties which lost them territory and saw visiting fly half Adam Wastall put his team ahead by a point.

Tows’ scrum, dominant as usual, continued pressure on the Swindon pack for scrum half Harry Hopewell to score. Tows lead as the first half ended.

The second half continued in the same vein, Swindon backs looked threatening as they moved the ball well, but it was Tows who extended their lead. Debutant winger Alex Chalcraft, who was playing Colts rugby last season, raced away to score after the forwards showed strength and determination to win the ball.

The young referee Louis Biggs then penalised Tows for lack of discipline and Westall took his second penalty. Tows then became their own worst enemies, wasting chances after creating good field positions.

Swindon took advantage of Tows messy mistakes to score a converted try, which saw them go in front.

Falvey answered with two penalties, which looked to close the game out with five minutes to go. Swindon had other ideas after a pick up from a retreating saw number eight Tom Mannion shrug off countless tackles to score. Westall drilled the conversion to put the visitors ahead.

Tows then had a chance to snatch the game from Swindon’s grasp, Chalcraft beat the first man but was tackled into touch to lead Swindon’s celebrations.