Tows make it hard for themselves – by Hugo Austin

The next fixture on Tows’ rugby calendar took them to Bletchley, who were yet to register a win for the season.

The game on paper looked as though it was a comfortable one for Tows and the score line suggested this, but in fact this was far from the truth.

The travelling team made several changes for this game and with this, were misfiring for the opening minutes, until young winger Alex Chalcraft, making only his second appearance for the first team, showed pace and great footwork to leave the home full back rooted to the spot and then score in the corner. James Falvey converted.

Later in the half Tows began to play more like they have been for most of the season, moving the ball with great speed from a penalty for Matt Yuill to score. Falvey again converted from touch for half time lead of fourteen.

Unfortunately Tows’ luck then changed, losing influential flanker Eugene Baxter to a broken ankle.

It was now time for Bletchley to come into the game, strongly encouraged by their home crowd. Heaps of pressure on the travelling defence and scrum lead to an excellent converted score.

Tows’ stuttering tight play came under further threat with a yellow card given to second row Chris Kirby. The home team took advantage of the extra man bringing them to within two points of Tows and on the brink of a shock result.

This seemed to kick Tows into action as Chalcraft was stopped just short of the line, the play was however brought back for an earlier penalty, slotted by James Falvey.

Falvey then appeared on the score sheet again this time finishing a move that was worked well by the backs. He then smoothly converted.

The last ten minutes was all Tows, excellent tries from both David Williams, who crashed over, and Craig Holton, who latched onto a destructive run from Mark Yeates, made sure of the win for Tows against a brave but tiring Bletchley.

Next week’s Alliance cu game against Old Scouts has had to be rescheduled.